Re: Help with \lyricsto and polyphony

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Help with \lyricsto and polyphony
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:03:40 +0100

Joshua Kwan wrote:
On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 03:28:04PM +0100, Maurits Lamers wrote:

Even easier is the use of

<<
        \context Voice = "a" { music }
        \context Voice = "b" { music }

because it makes it easier to assign the correct lyrics to. This works perfectly with version 2.2.5.

This is really great. Thanks! I went and named both subvoices "soprano"
and everything worked just fine. It feels like this should be default
behavior, though, and that the user must rename the voices explicitly
for lyrics to be separated. Any thoughts about this?

Hold the horses! If you give the same name to two contexts, then
LilyPond will treat them as one and the same. In particular, this
means that you cannot use different property settings for the two
voices. For example, you cannot get stems pointing down in one voice
and up in the other. The point of using <<{...} \\ {...}>> is to
split into two separate Voice contexts and set all stems, slurs, ...
to point upwards in the first voice and down in the second.

If you don't want these nice features and just want two simultanous
lines of music within the same Voice context, you could just as well
do
\context Voice = melody {
  % Single line of music:
  c d e f
  % Two lines of music:
  <<{ g a b c} {d f d c} >>
}

However, be prepared to see some stems that look strange. If you want
chords, i.e. several notes on the same stem, you should use chord
syntax, as has been explained in an earlier email.

   /Mats

However, I'm still wondering why I can't use the same lyrics = \lyrics
{ blabla } more than once in 2.4.x...

Of course you can (as long as you don't call the variable "lyrics" which
is a reserved word).

I probably missed your original question related to this. Do you have
any small example that examplifies what you try to achieve.

  /Mats