Re: What am I doing wrong???

From: Michiel Lange
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong???
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:22:14 +0200

Thanks for the quick and correct anser... I was able to put in all the notes now as they should be... Had to find out the shifts lilypond takes (not every 'd' is the 'd' I expected, sometimes an octave lower, sometimes higher), but that was easily tackled... Now I know the difference between curly braces {..}, the <<...>> and <..> but the sheet looks beautiful now

I have to add my final chords as they were lost on the sheet I had... it is not a disaster... I just have to play it again, which I won't do right now, to please my neighbours... and have to add some crescendo's (d e f g a b c) and some registration remarks (I am not educated very much in english musical terms, but one may recognize the 'I' and 'II' signs in music... someone with some hints? ;-) to speed up learning ) This I have to find out yet, but I must say now that putting my music in lilypond is much easier than I feared...

I have used a musical notation point-and-click program (toccata) before, and that took me much more time to enter this piece of music in there than it did take me to put it into lilypond while learning some new things...

There's also one more question...

I have one chord that looks like this:

btw, I'm running lilypond 2.2.0, it may be that this is something that's "fixed", if it should be... it is just a question, not a bug report yet... I know I'm not very much learned in these matters... I just love music too much...

Greetings,
Michiel Lange

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Anything you put within a set of curly brackets, {...}, form a
sequence. In your example, you have written
\context PianoStaff << { ... } >>
which is equivalent to
\context PianoStaff \simultanous{\sequential{...}}

Just remove the curly braces directly inside the <<...>>, to
get what you want.

   /Mats

Michiel Lange wrote:

Hello, my name is Michiel and I will admit first that I am very new to lilypond. The examples shown look great, so I was about to give it a shot... the first few lines of music went well, so I felt ready to put my first piece of music I ever wrote into lilypond.

It's a piece for organ and the following should be the first two measures of the piece, but somehow the bass and pedal "shift" to respectively the third and the fifth measure... Anyone who can tell me what makes this happen?

\score
{
       \notes\context PianoStaff <<
       {

               \context Staff
               { \relative c'
                       {
                               \key d \major \clef violin
                               r1        r2    r4   <<fis4 a>>
               \new Staff
               { \relative c'
                       {
                               \key d \major \clef bass
                               a2  fis   d4  e4  fis2
               \new Staff
               { \relative c
                       {
                               \key d \major \clef bass
                               a2 fis2 d4 e4 fis2
       } >>
}

(I also use to be a C programmer, and use this style of coding for readabilty for myself, as I often forget a brace here and there...)