Re: Problems with grace notes, barlines, accidentals

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Problems with grace notes, barlines, accidentals
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:24:31 +0100

Laura Conrad <address@hidden> writes:

> This is how abc2ly works.  I don't think having it parse every measure
> for whether it's partial is a good idea.

Are you saying that abc2ly overrides the bar positioning?  I don't
think that's a very good idea; it would be much better to tell lily
what's going on.

> The measures are all 4/4 bars.  There's nothing really wierd about
> this.  The grace notes must be what's confusing.

No, the grace notes do not matter.  The first alternative is only 3
quarters and an eight note long.  That is what 'confuses' lily; she
just goes on counting.  If you don't want that, you'll have to insert
\partial.  I don't think Lily can handle mid- or partial-bar repeats
in a sensible way yet.  Is the attached file what you want?

> Attached is the fixed file.  I still think not having a bar line (or
> some syntax that allows specification of a barline) at the start of
> the first alternate is a bug.

The file contains:

   \property Score.defaultBarType="empty"

so lily doesn't show bar lines.  If you add a \bar "|" at the end of the
\volta, you get a bar line

        \bar "|"
        } \alternative{{

Jan.