Re: small print

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: small print
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:46:53 +0000

On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:28:05 Maurizio Tomasi wrote:
> > > After taking a look at the image Simon put on the web, I am not
> sure
> > > these are real "cue" notes. Their purpose should be to give the
> > > player an hint about what the other instruments are playing at the
> > > moment, while a real "cue note" is something the player
> him/herself
> > > has to play.
> >
> > No, ``cue'' means someone else is playing it.  Small staves are
> > sometimes used for one staff in a duet score where a part is
> provided,
> > and for ossias.
>
> Yes, you are absolutely right. My misunderstanding comes from the fact
> that english is not my native language: I thought that a "cue note"
> was
> the english word for "appoggiatura".

For appoggiatura,
grace note almost does it, and we use ``appoggiatura'' for grace
notes, but there is one little caveat. In harmony or counterpoint an
appoggiatura is equivalent to
a suspended note that is played, so we should more correctly refer
to a Csus4 as a Cappogg4, but fortunately, we don't.  :-)

It is perfectly clear from the context, so you may
use ``appoggiatura'' with confidence that you will be
understood, with no need to translate, as long as you
are not teaching academic music at the time.

I always thought that the Spanish had the best word for
appoggiature, ``notitas''.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden