Re: small print

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: small print
Date: 05 Jul 2002 13:25:26 +0200

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 11:12, Maurizio Tomasi wrote:
> After taking a look at the image Simon put on the web, I am not sure these
> are real "cue" notes. Their purpose should be to give the player an hint
> about what the other instruments are playing at the moment, while a real
> "cue note" is something the player him/herself has to play.

in this case the notes are printed there for two reasons. firstly, so
the lead trombone can follow the music, and jump in at the right place
(the 2nd and 3rd trombones have only 8 bars rest printed). the second
reason is quite simply that horns are not always available for brass and
wind orchestras, for which this score was set. in which case, the lead
trombone is to play this part.

> Maybe a solution for Simon would be to use `\tiny' or `\small' within the
> thread. You can have a look at these commands in ly/property-init.ly.

thanx, maurizio, that was what i was looking for. now the only thing i'd
need to do is drop the measure rests out of the line of the melody.
(using d,2\rest does not work, as lily puts the rests at the beginning
of the bar rather than in the middle ...)

\notes \relative c'' {
\context Voice = tenor <
  \context Thread = tenorI {
    \tiny
    e2 ( ) dis2 d8 ( h16 cis d8 e16 ) d d8 ( ) cis c4
    c2 ( h4 ) c h16 ( c d4 c16 ) h  a8 a16 ( ) h c8-. c16 ( ) d
  }
  \context Thread = baritone {
    \tiny
    R2*8

thanks again,
simon.
--
Confucius say, man who live in glass house shower in basement.