Re: forcing hshift

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: forcing hshift
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 00:06:33 +0200

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

{a2 a4} + {a4 a2} = {a4 a4 a4}

This spacing has been bad for years.  I hope it's fixed now.

I don't agree with you.
You seem to think that spacing should be calculated globally on score level without thinking about individual voices. I.e. this would mean that in your opinion two shifted voices with quarter notes

< { c4 c c c }  {c8 c4 c c c8} >

should get same spacing as one voice with eight notes.
Furter more your approach would mean that the first measure of this example should get same spacing as 2nd measure, which I concider very bad spacing.

\score {
  \notes \transpose c'' <
      \context Staff = sa \repeat unfold 2 <
          \context Voice = va { \voiceOne \times 2/3 { b2 b b } }
          \context Voice = vb { \voiceOne d4 d d d }

\context Staff = sb { \voiceOne c1 \times 2/3 { c4. c8 c4 c4 c8 c4. } }

  \paper { linewidth = -1 }
}

So, bottom line is: I don't agree with you, but perhaps it should be configurable - i.e. we could add a solo-spacing-engraver to the voice-context, which could be moved to score level in order to achieve Davids preferances, or something...?

-Rune