Re: forcing hshift

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: forcing hshift
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:21:31 +0000

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:10:30 Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > Q. Is there a way of turning off default
> > horizontal collision avoidance for one note?
> > I want to make
>
> > these go ahead and collide so that they are not shifted
> > twice.
> > If this does not solve the problem there is a
> > nasty bug.
> > If it is at all difficult, I can always use an
> > invisible rest in a third part.  (not a "spacer" rest,
> > it does timing only, and has no effect on spacing)
>
> Please send a .ly snippet. I'm not clairvoyant.
>
> > Q. for *all*.  Any feedback on sly yet?  If you have a large
> > project and you use linux you will wonder how you finished
>
> Preprocessors is where we came from (MPP), and I'd rather not go back.
> For
> complex music, I would rather recommend point-and-click.

I was afraid of that. Try it, you'll like it. The problem with
preprocessing is that it limits your choices.
There is nothing
like that here.  Preprocessing
makes it harder to maintain or revise, this makes it easier.  Any
preprocessing
of the notes is entirely optional and up to the user, and I am
confident that point and click
will work if you put the part in a window.  But in the process
you will locate the same measure in every other part also.  And the .ly
file itself is not preprocessed or touched in any way.

Point and click does not permit you to copy any number of parts
in any number of consecutive measures simultaneously.  Having
multiple windows open to scroll through different parts in an
.ly file is **nasty**.  I've been there.  No more.  :-)

Also there is nothing to prevent pasting parts into the .ly file
when the piece is finished, although it is far easier to
maintain the piece if it is in two files.

Take a look at the xdvi file from this and look at the bad
spacing in the last 3 bars.  You need to summarize these
parts for spacing purposes, which you have to do anyway
to make tab.

{a2 a4} + {a4 a2} = {a4 a4 a4}

This spacing has been bad for years.  I hope it's fixed now.

the .ps file is fine, but ps2pdf fails, possibly because
notes are shifted twice.  Can I turn off collision
so they are only shifted once?  How?

There are some other interesting things marked #######.

The png is from the Carcassi book.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden