Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched score

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched score
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:26:59 +0200

Mark Knoop <address@hidden> writes:

> At 22:09 on 28 Jul 2016, David Kastrup wrote:
>>Mark Knoop <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I'm sorry, I am trying to progress this and respond to your
>>> suggestions, but it would be nice to receive some proper criticism of
>>> my (working) code which amounts to more than just "I don't like
>>> it".
>>
>>It makes stuff more complex rather than simpler while adding only quite
>>specific use cases rather than a new class of problems.  I am searching
>>for something with a better payoff in terms of opening obvious
>>solutions for regularly occuring problems.  remove-layer is a
>>low-level mechanism for dealing comparatively straightforwardly with
>>typical divisi problems.
>
> OK, I disagree, but must accept your decision.

Shrug.  I don't have any veto power here.  Feel free to get other
opinions.  I'm the one most likely stuck with maintaining the code,
others are most likely to have to maintain the corresponding
documentation.

>>What you are looking for, however, is a
>>class of simple omission problems.  Maybe we can solve this completely
>>differently? Like using "alignAboveContext"  being given the
>>StaffGroup context name? And just squashing it when the StaffGroup to
>>align above is missing?
>>
>>That would appear to match the problem space well enough again.
>
> OK, this could be another approach. But this would require a new
> property to request this behaviour.

I don't see why.  Care to explain?

> Would this then happen in
> Vertical_align_engraver::acknowledge_axis_group ? Only inserting the
> grob if the before_grob is there?

I haven't yet looked at the code.  However, I think that suicides happen
a lot later than that and the point would be to track suicides.