Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched score

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched score
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:43:58 +0100

At 11:26 on 29 Jul 2016, David Kastrup wrote:
>Mark Knoop <address@hidden> writes:
>> At 22:09 on 28 Jul 2016, David Kastrup wrote:
>>>What you are looking for, however, is a
>>>class of simple omission problems.  Maybe we can solve this
>>>completely differently? Like using "alignAboveContext"  being given
>>>the StaffGroup context name? And just squashing it when the
>>>StaffGroup to align above is missing?
>>>
>>>That would appear to match the problem space well enough again.
>>
>> OK, this could be another approach. But this would require a new
>> property to request this behaviour.
>
>I don't see why.  Care to explain?

Currently this:

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff = "staffone" \with {
      alignAboveContext = "keepstaffonealive"
      \override NoteHead.color = #red
    } { \repeat unfold 120 c'4 }
    \new StaffGroup = "keepstaffonealive" <<
      \new Staff = "stafftwo" \with {
        \RemoveEmptyStaves
        \override NoteHead.color = #blue
      } { \repeat unfold 20 c'4 R1*20 \repeat unfold 20 c'4 }

    \new Staff = "staffthree" \with {
    } { \repeat unfold 120 c'4 }

}

keeps staffone alive all the time. The desired behaviour is that
staffone is only alive while stafftwo is also alive (via the proxy of
the StaffGroup). If just specifying alignAboveContext kills staffone
when that context goes away, surely that's a fairly major change of
behaviour. But perhaps I have misunderstood your approach.

>> Would this then happen in
>> Vertical_align_engraver::acknowledge_axis_group ? Only inserting the
>> grob if the before_grob is there?
>
>I haven't yet looked at the code.  However, I think that suicides
>happen a lot later than that and the point would be to track suicides.

I'll have a look and see what I can find.

--
Mark Knoop