Notation manual - 1.3.3 Expressive marks as lines - glissandi

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Notation manual - 1.3.3 Expressive marks as lines - glissandi
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 21:30:54 +0100

Arghh! Tweaks and workarounds!

"For a contemporary glissando from a note, you can use hideNote and cadenzaOn/Off". Except I've tried it and the side effects have buggered everything else up !!!

As soon as you start combining voices - like I separate markups, time signatures, etc from notes - as soon as you put a cadenza in one voice and not the others, they get out of sync and mess up royally.

So I tried to use a chord with a hidden note, except that it appears you can't put a rest into a chord ...

What I've done, which works for me, is to use a tuplet instead. imho this is much better, not least because it doesn't have nasty side effects.

I attach my little example below, if someone would care to put it in the manual instead of the one that's there.

{
  \once \override TupletBracket.bracket-visibility = ##f
  \once \hide TupletNumber
  \times 2/3 { r4 \hideNotes c'8\glissando \unHideNotes } c''2->
}

Okay, my example is to a note, not from, but when you're trying to do a score, or multiple instruments where some have "contemporary glissandi" and others don't, the example in the manual is going to cause grief. This version doesn't have side-effects.

Cheers,
Wol