Re: Die, instrumentSwitch. (issue 133390043 by address@hidden)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Die, instrumentSwitch. (issue 133390043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:36:56 -0700

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 01:06:46 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

A few minor comments below, but I don't see
how we can just remove the instructions for
setting up InstrumentSwitch without some replacement.
InstrumentSwitch is used by \cueDuring and friends.

\cueDuring itself does not use InstrumentSwitch; we were manually creating a
temporary cueVoice just before the \cueduring.   That takes the font-size from
CueVoice to use for the printed text, which is nice, but any overrides require
a non-obvious path through InstrumentSwitch
  \new CueVoice \with {
    \override InstrumentSwitch.direction = #DOWN
    \override InstrumentSwitch.font-shape = #'italic
    instrumentCueName = "Tuba" }
  \cueDuring "tuba" #DOWN { R1 g'2 bes' }

So the replacement for this use of InstrumentSwitch
   <>_\markup\italic\teeny"Tuba"
 is covered by the markup docmentation

The history is long.
I argued that the use of instrumentSwitch, to label the instrument playing
cues, was useless
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-10/msg00148.html
and we removed it for some time,

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=4c1aa3b16f7b94ca32b0c022f60ed66826d031b0

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=539934ff10d5ab0d4e06dedcb8ff5a54ed43d427

But we used a construction that used zero-length durations, which we later
removed

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=4ab6e4df934e57c51dbbdbf2c209273c6cb5b888

Instead of <>^\markup, I went back to the instrumentCueName; the reason I gave
in the reitveld was complaints about the markup being tricky
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-10/msg00118.html
That was dumb.  I had long-since stopped using instrumentCueName, so had
forgotten that it is much more tricky to use.