Re: Remove thin-kern property. (issue 105560044 by address@hidden)

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: Remove thin-kern property. (issue 105560044 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:13:27 +0000

On 2014/07/07 07:25:15, marc wrote:
On 2014/07/07 01:31:01, Mark Polesky wrote:
> On 2014/07/06 11:52:56, thomasmorley651 wrote:
> > I disagree!
> > 'kern and 'thin-kern _are_ used differently.

But *do* we need two different variables which then are used with
exactly the
same value?
Do we need the option to change the distance of the segno double bar
line?

I'd say yes.
I'm always against loosing functionality, and deleting 'thin-kern would
limit the tweaking-possibilities.

IIRC, this is a leftover from the bar line reorganisation work, the
double
bar line "||" was formerly spaced with 'thin-kern as well, but as we
implemented the stacking algorithm for bar lines, all constituents are
now
spaced with 'kern.

Yep

I'd remove 'thin-kern entirely. In case someone wants to modify the
appearance
of the segno symbol, he can use a multiplier and create his own
stencil easily.

It's very easy to create custom-bar-lines nowadays -- for us!
Though, I doubt the average user has the scheme-knowledge to do so.

In the NR we don't explain how to code new barline-procedures like
`make-segno-bar-line' (only the hint to look into bar-line.scm) and
afaik nowhere else.
There's a regtest doing so, but we don't expect users to look there.

Until we can come up with an interface to create new barline-procedures,
which is much easier for the average user (although I've no clue right
now, how it should look), we should keep all tweaking/overriding
possibilities, imho.

https://codereview.appspot.com/105560044/