Re: [SPAM] Re: Serious feedback and improvement headroom

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: Serious feedback and improvement headroom
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 10:02:28 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: Jan Warchoł
To: David Kastrup ; Mike Solomon ; Kieren MacMillan ; Han-Wen Nienhuys
Cc: LilyPond Development Team
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:23 PM

Look at what happened with Browser Wars: in the first half of 2000s, Firefox was obviously a better browser than IE by orders of magnitude, and nevertheless its adoption was slow. Then, when Google Chrome appeared, it had won the first place almost overnight.

You may like to know that here are more Firefox users accessing the LilyPond website than Chrome.

Do you see my point?

No, I'm sorry, I don't. I don't think LilyPond is in competition with any commercial product: it offers a free alternative. I started using LilyPond because I didn't want to pay £100s for something that was not fundamental to my life: LilyPond offered something that did essentially the same thing for nothing. To me, there is no competition: that only occurs when products are fighting for the same market, and LilyPond is in a different market: i.e. free software.

--
Phil Holmes