Re: Problem with Ubuntu Raring Ringtail?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with Ubuntu Raring Ringtail?
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 10:30:05 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> James <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> GPL Ghostscript 9.07 (2013-02-14)
>> Copyright (C) 2012 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>> This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
>> ]]
>> Success: compilation successfully completed
>>

>> --snip--
>>
>> The first time I did it, I just copied the executable and it
>> complained about an incorrect gs*.ps version and some library (*.so)
>> file incompatibility - which one would expect.
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>
> Not all that much.  I was talking about the situation you have in Raring
> Ringtail after
>
> sudo apt-get install lilypond
>
> or (in my case) after compiling one's own version of LilyPond.  Not
> after installing a whole cross-compiled LilyPond operating environment.
> While the latter is more or less the standard way of installing/using
> LilyPond on Windows or MacOSX, it is rather uncommon on GNU/Linux
> distributions.
>
> Most importantly, I am talking about the situation using the stock
> installed Ghostscript binary.  Not anything else.  I have no doubts that
> there are way to compile/install GhostScript in a working way.  But the
> problem occurs with the exact binary package/compilation available in
> the Ubuntu package repositories.
>
> At least it does for me.  And I still don't know whether it does for
> anybody else.

Downgrading Ghostscript to the last Quantal version 9.06 (and
downgrading libg9, libgs9-common, ghostscript-x) and putting it on hold
did the trick.  My last installed documentation build is for version
2.17.12 (which is end of February) and I can't find a full build with
images in my tree (probably did some make doc-clean in between), so I
don't have positive evidence that this ever worked since end of April.
So maybe indeed Ghostscript has been broken right from the start of
Raring Ringtail with respect to being able to build the LilyPond
documentation.  Or it breaks in connection with whatever other
setting/configuration, but at least versino 9.06 is not affected.