Re: Problem with Ubuntu Raring Ringtail?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with Ubuntu Raring Ringtail?
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 06:44:40 +0200

James <address@hidden> writes:

> GPL Ghostscript 9.07 (2013-02-14)
> Copyright (C) 2012 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
> This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
> ]]
> Success: compilation successfully completed
>

> --snip--
>
> The first time I did it, I just copied the executable and it
> complained about an incorrect gs*.ps version and some library (*.so)
> file incompatibility - which one would expect.
>
> I hope this helps.

Not all that much.  I was talking about the situation you have in Raring
Ringtail after

sudo apt-get install lilypond

or (in my case) after compiling one's own version of LilyPond.  Not
after installing a whole cross-compiled LilyPond operating environment.
While the latter is more or less the standard way of installing/using
LilyPond on Windows or MacOSX, it is rather uncommon on GNU/Linux
distributions.

Most importantly, I am talking about the situation using the stock
installed Ghostscript binary.  Not anything else.  I have no doubts that
there are way to compile/install GhostScript in a working way.  But the
problem occurs with the exact binary package/compilation available in
the Ubuntu package repositories.

At least it does for me.  And I still don't know whether it does for
anybody else.