Re: instrument name patch reverted

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: instrument name patch reverted
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 11:12:55 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> I reverted the instrument name patch in staging.

It might be worth trying to figure out the relation between the problems
that this patch was addressing and the breakage of functionality that
occured as a consequence of it.

Maybe the patch goals can be accomplished in a manner not affecting
existing code in such a way.  Or one can show that the desired behaviors
are fundamentally incompatible in which case we have to make a choice
ultimately and figure out how we can minimize the impact on users.

At any rate, I think that even outside of the stable release, an
approach of "break and patchup everywhere" is not doing our users and
code base favors.  Anything requiring a "patchup everywhere" needs to be
closely examined.  Sometimes it might be the only reasonable way
forward, but then we need a migration strategy for both ourselves as
well as our users.