GUB usage

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: GUB usage
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 10:10:38 -0500

For Octave, I'm trying to update GUB to use a newer gcc, and I'm
running across a few problems.

I haven't done much, but here is my clone of the repo:

    http://hg.octave.org/gub

So now I need to patch the gcc sources because they have a small bug
that prevents building, and here I am puzzled about the overall GUB
architecture. Why is the patching logic spread out between actual
patch files and Python spec files? For my current issue, I need to
figure out this problem:

so for this I would write a patch file, right? Or should I put the
patch logic in Python source code and use the file_sub() function?

Is there a simple mechanism in GUB for writing these patch files?
Reading them, it looks like they were somehow automated, so I would
like to know how they were generated.

Finally, if I update the style of the Python to follow PEP 8 (e.g. no
long lines), would you accept back those patches?

- Jordi G. H.