Re: Alternative pixel-based regtest checker

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Alternative pixel-based regtest checker
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 17:54:41 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
To: "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 7:15 PM
Subject: Alternative pixel-based regtest checker

4 files attached.  To try this out: create a new directory and place
NoTagline.ly in it. Create a subdirectory called input and put some regtest
files in there.  Run MakeOldPix.sh.  Make a change to lilypond.  Run
MakeNewPix.sh.  Run ComparePix.sh.  Om my tests there were some false
alarms, but it seems a fairly simple way to make an alternative regtest
checker.

There's lots of improvements that could be made: parallelism, using
something other than diff, but it basically works.

Thoughts?

--
Phil Holmes

Thanks to Felix (and some modification of his suggestion) I now have version 0.b of my pixel-regtest checker. And it works. Instructions are as above.

I now convert the grayscale PNGs to black and white, which makes them less susceptible to false alarms. On my build machine, the entire create old; make; create new; check takes about 4 minutes, of which 1 minute is the make. If this were to be part of the code base, I'd suggest skipping the "copy the regtests" step and use the in-place ones; have a more sensible set of directory names for the old and new images; but apart from that I think it's ready to go. Would people be comfortable with this as a set of 3 shell scripts, or should it be integrated into make in some way?

--
Phil Holmes