Re: Alternative pixel-based regtest checker

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Alternative pixel-based regtest checker
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 16:00:20 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:21 AM

On 1 mars 2013, at 22:33, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

There's lots of improvements that could be made: parallelism, using
something other than diff, but it basically works.

Thoughts?

CMP(1) User Commands CMP(1)

NAME
      cmp - compare two files byte by byte

SYNOPSIS
      cmp [OPTION]... FILE1 [FILE2 [SKIP1 [SKIP2]]]

DESCRIPTION
      Compare two files byte by byte.

As LilyPond is non deterministic, it does not draw stencils to the page in the same order every time, which means (I think) that the same input can generate two different PNG files. So, a bytewise comparison may trigger false positives.

Cheers,
MS

I know from my Windows pixel-based checker that, generally, the PNG files contain the same image, version after version (there are a few oddities with some text, which I'm used to). I would have believed that identical images would only be produced by identical PNG files?

--
Phil Holmes