Re: Further work on reducing make doc output - GOP 9

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Further work on reducing make doc output - GOP 9
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:24:02 +0100

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 02:47:23PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
>> OK - so I don't think anyone has looked at this.
>
> Quick check:
> - what does 6>&1 do?  is that a named pipe?

Nope, it redirects the output on file descriptor 6 to file descriptor 1,
the standard output.  Somewhere else, something obviously gets
redirected _to_ file descriptor 6.

> - in general all the symbols looks a bit iffy... if we hadn't just
>   had a huge issue with python subprocess on windows, I'd suggest
>   writing a python script to do this -- it might be 20 lines
>   instead of 13, but IMO "stderr" is more understandable than
>   "1>&6".

That redirects stdout _to_ file descriptor 6, and would likely be the
source of the stuff that gets back via the other redirection.