Re: Let \footnote do the job of \footnote, \footnoteGrob, \autoFootnote

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Let \footnote do the job of \footnote, \footnoteGrob, \autoFootnote and \autoFootnoteGrob (issue 5527058)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:23:18 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, scanning for \markup ... will be quite more of a challenge.
> Another problem I see is coordinating the change with the equally-named
> \footnote markup command.  I have to see how that is defined.
>
> On the plus side, most user files will likely be using \autoFootnote.

I have just looked at the definitions of the \footnote and
\auto-footnote markups.  They are a total mess in discord with their
documentation, so it is not all that likely that users have been using
them much.

    (define-markup-command (footnote layout props mkup note)
      (markup? markup?)
      #:category other
      "Have footnote @var{note} act as an annotation to the markup @var{mkup}.

    @lilypond[verbatim,quote]
    \\markup {
      \\auto-footnote a b
      \\override #'(padding . 0.2)
      \\auto-footnote c d
    }
    @end lilypond
    The footnote will not be annotated automatically."

The footnote called with \auto-footnote will not be annotated automatically?

    (define-markup-command (auto-footnote layout props mkup note)
      (markup? markup?)
      #:category other
      #:properties ((raise 0.5)
                    (padding 0.0))
      "Have footnote @var{note} act as an annotation to the markup @var{mkup}.

    @lilypond[verbatim,quote]
    \\markup {
      \\auto-footnote a b
      \\override #'(padding . 0.2)
      \\auto-footnote c d
    }
    @end lilypond
    The footnote will be annotated automatically."
      (let* ((markup-stencil (interpret-markup layout props mkup))
             (auto-numbering (ly:output-def-lookup layout
                                                   'footnote-auto-numbering))

What's that?  auto-numbering will only be active if
footnote-auto-numbering is set in the layout?  Which it isn't by
default?  And where there is no documentation around explaining how and
why you should do that?

It is a rather safe bet the only user of that functionality goes by a
first name of "Mike".