Re: Tied harmonics in tablature - tracker issue

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Tied harmonics in tablature - tracker issue
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 09:38:11 +0100

Am 04.11.2010 00:03, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

On 11/3/10 9:34 AM, "Marc Hohl"<address@hidden>  wrote:

Am 03.11.2010 15:11, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

On 11/3/10 7:03 AM, "Marc Hohl"<address@hidden>   wrote:

Hello list, hello Valentin (I think you are the master of the tracker),

Federico Bruni raised this issue long ago, see

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-05/msg00355.html

I made some attempts to get this done, but the "almost" solution I
reached didn't satisfy me completely (it looks to me rather hackish,
there has to be a more genuine solution without shifting layers and stuff):

http://codereview.appspot.com/1669041

So I think it is best to add this to the tracker, so this issue won't be
lost.

Would you like more comments on the code now?

IMHO, it should work as follows: if the TabNoteHead is a harmonic, there
should be a
gap *without* whiteout between the '(' and the fret number (and again
between the number and ')',
of course) which is as wide as the '<', whereas the parentheses and the
fret number keep their
whiteout. if the TabNoteHead is normal, the gap should be zero.
Wouldn't it be a sound approach to have the TabNoteHead for a harmonic
include both the number and the angle brackets, and then apply the
parentheses to the resulting grob?  I think this is probably the best
approach, though I could be wrong.
I came up with the idea to parenthesize the Harmonic brackets instead of the
TabNoteHead and thus provide the possibility to left-parenthesize or
right-parenthesize an item, but your approach sounds more consistent.

Indeed, a harmonic note head is a complete note head with just another shape,
so the tab note head for a harmonic note should be seen as an entity,
created by a fret number surrounded by the brackets. Then it would be quite easy to
parenthesize it.

But I think this means that the Tab note head engraver has to be changed, isn't it?

Regards,

Marc
Thanks,

Carl