Re: Tied harmonics in tablature - tracker issue

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Tied harmonics in tablature - tracker issue
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:34:43 +0100

Am 03.11.2010 15:11, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

On 11/3/10 7:03 AM, "Marc Hohl"<address@hidden>  wrote:

Hello list, hello Valentin (I think you are the master of the tracker),

Federico Bruni raised this issue long ago, see

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-05/msg00355.html

I made some attempts to get this done, but the "almost" solution I
reached didn't satisfy me completely (it looks to me rather hackish,
there has to be a more genuine solution without shifting layers and stuff):

http://codereview.appspot.com/1669041

So I think it is best to add this to the tracker, so this issue won't be
lost.
Would you like more comments on the code now?
Hmm, I am not sure whether this is the right approach at all the way it is coded now,
so let me try to explain:

To make the harmonic brackets invisible when the fret number is invisible
is not the problem, but if the fret number gets parenthesized, the parentheses do not take the harmonic brackets into account, so we have to construct a grob
consisting of a '(', an '<', the fret number, an '>' and a ')'.
Fine, but the Tab_harmonics_engraver is still doing its job, so in some cases,
it draws his <...> pair *before* our constructed grob is placed
(which is not very elegant, but harmless), but in some cases, it draws the
<...> pair *over* the constructed grob. The whitespace between the <...> makes the fret number disappear in the latter case, so the workaround was to lift the
TabNoteHead #'layer to a higher value in order to avoid this.

IMHO, it should work as follows: if the TabNoteHead is a harmonic, there should be a gap *without* whiteout between the '(' and the fret number (and again between the number and ')', of course) which is as wide as the '<', whereas the parentheses and the fret number keep their
whiteout. if the TabNoteHead is normal, the gap should be zero.

Regards,

Marc

Thanks,

Carl