Re: lilypad for windows

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: lilypad for windows
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:13:53 -0700

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 7/18/10 3:11 PM, "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>Op zondag 18-07-2010 om 13:35 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Patrick
>> McCarty:
>>> I think if we "roll our own" LilyPad, and borrow a lot of ideas from
>>> gummi or other similar projects, we'll be on the right track.
>>
>> Yeah, probably maybe.  I'm not too comfortable with this tex-ness,
>> otoh, sharing efforts would be nice.
>
> I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, and I think I might know the
> answer, but ...
>
> Why do we want to "roll our own" when we already have LilyPondTool/Jedit,
> and Frescobaldi?
>
> I think the answers are 1) Jedit is not very lightweight, and we want
> something lightweight; and 2) Frescobaldi is specific to KDE and we want to
> develop something that is cross-platform.

Yeah, the heaviness is the main problem.  I think Frescobaldi is
pretty lightweight, though it carries a massive dependency (KDE).
Also, the JRE (or OpenJDK) for Jedit is pretty heavy.

> Is it possible to separate the KDE4 stuff from Frescobaldi, and use pygtk
> instead?  Perhaps we could use the same core functionality.

We could try porting some of the code to pygtk, though I haven't
looked into it to see how difficult it would be.

> It seems better to not reinvent the wheel if we can avoid it.

I agree.

Thanks,
Patrick