Re: Chromatic transposition -- a very small starting step

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Chromatic transposition -- a very small starting step
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 21:34:52 +0100

On 9 July 2010 21:02, Joseph Wakeling <address@hidden> wrote:
> Neil -- thanks ever so much for the detailed explanations.

You're welcome.

I hope what I've said is correct, since Carl's pinched my post and
added it to the Contributor's Guide. :)

> The transpose_mutable() function seems to be where it's at ... :-)

Yep.

> I note the following lines which are surely responsible for cleaning up
> anything larger than a double flat:

Correct.

See issue 1009 for the background to the fix (and my post here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-02/msg00373.html)

> So, thinking about the way to implement the various chromatic
> transpositions, what seems natural is that once new_val has been
> generated in the transpose_mutable() function, to run through one of the
> naturalize-pitch Scheme functions (or perhaps a C++ version of it).

Sounds good to me.

Cheers,
Neil