Editors invoked by git rebase -i

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Editors invoked by git rebase -i
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:38:54 -0000

I used "git rebase -i" to combine several commits into
one for the first time recently.  This was in ubuntu.
It threw me for a while because the first editor it
brought up was nano (to edit the list of commits) and
then vi (to edit the commit messages).  Not being
familiar with either, the way to save and exit took me
quite a few minutes to work out.

It it possible to configure git to use another editor,
like the ubuntu default, gedit, for these?

Trevor