Re: Editors invoked by git rebase -i

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Editors invoked by git rebase -i
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:44:45 +0000

At 12:38 on 02 Dec 2009, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> I used "git rebase -i" to combine several commits into
> one for the first time recently.  This was in ubuntu.
> It threw me for a while because the first editor it
> brought up was nano (to edit the list of commits) and
> then vi (to edit the commit messages).  Not being
> familiar with either, the way to save and exit took me
> quite a few minutes to work out.
>
> It it possible to configure git to use another editor,
> like the ubuntu default, gedit, for these?

man git-var

GIT_EDITOR

    Text editor for use by git commands. The value is meant to be
    interpreted by the shell when it is used. Examples: ~/bin/vi,
    $SOME_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE, "C:\Program Files\Vim\gvim.exe"
    --nofork. The order of preference is the $GIT_EDITOR environment
    variable, then core.editor configuration, then $VISUAL, then
    $EDITOR, and then finally vi.

--
Mark Knoop