Re: serious doubts about waf

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: serious doubts about waf
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:50:53 +0000

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 06:36:37PM -0800, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:34:35PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
> >> I'm just about ready to give up on waf.
> >
> > As Jan put it, "a new build system should be a breath of fresh
> > air".  I'm not feeling fresh.
>
> Though I haven't been following these discussions very closely, I have
> looked into automake a little bit.  It sounds like we could make it
> work.  At least, I think it would simplify makefile maintenance once
> we have initially set everything up.

What's the advantage of automake over the current system?  (I'm
not even certain what the current system is called!)

I used to maintain it (and the duplicate qmake build system) for
marsyas before I got so annoyed at having two build systems and
switched to cmake.  Given that windows users couldn't use
automake, I'm not certain it's worth the effort of switching to
it.

Cheers,
- Graham