Re: Guidelines for bounding boxes?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Guidelines for bounding boxes?
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:38:21 +0200 (CEST)

>> However, we need a mechanism to improve the more critical cases.
>
> Maybe attaching some "ghost characters" without actual content to
> the glyphs might be possible, where the total outline is determined
> by overlaying all the bounding boxes?

This is a very nice idea!  For example, the

        | _
        |/ \
        |__/

glyph could be composed of two glyphs: The first holds the complete
shape but its metrics box only consists of the bowl.  The second one
is an empty box, firmly attached on the top, which exactly covers the
stem:

       ++
       ++-+
       |  |
       +--+

Some glyphs, however, like the `sharp' accidental, would need one main
box and four attached ghost boxes: I fear that too many ghost boxes
would dramatically increase the processing time of lilypond...

If we ever are going to implement this (which I would welcome), we
probably have to find a similar mechanism which has been optimized for
speed.

    Werner