Re: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:13:59 +0800

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:35:33AM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> I'm beginning to suspect that we should just explain this better in
>> the tutorial
>
> Didn't you just recently say that this should NOT be in LM?

Sorry, I mis-spoke.  We should explain that details of \header
stuff is in the "Titles and Margin Text" section (whatever we call
it).  I'm thinking of LM 2.x.y containing "You can add titles,
headers, footers, and other margin text with LilyPond.  For more
information, see @ref{Titles and Margin Text}".
(followed by a @lilypond, of course)

Remember that fundamentally we cannot know if people understand
the manual or not; our only feedback comes from questions on
-user.  Also remember that when somebody asks a question, we don't
know if they've seriously read the docs or not.  Therefore the
only way to measure if the docs work or not is that when somebody
asks a question (and we think it's already in the docs), we point
out what we missed.  9 times out of 10, they think to themselves
"oops, in retrospect that was obvious" and we don't hear back from
them.  If they complain that the docs weren't clear, then we can
start discussing it.

I think that something similar to the above text is clear enough
that we can point to it in response to any future confusion.  And
remember that we officially feel no sympathy for people who
haven't read the LM.

... that said, I still agree that we should rename the current
section about \header.

>> ... after all, the command is \header.
>
> Maybe the \header command should be renamed?

I'm not opposed to this, as long as the replacement is
considerably more clear.  As we've seen with Werner, something
like \margin-text{} wouldn't work.

Cheers,
- Graham