Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 18:11:32 -0600

I'm going to step in here, perhaps where wise men fear to tread.

The LilyPond  music glossary isn't intended to be a definitive music
dictionary, is it?

So do we care what reference concert pitch uses?  Does it matter if it's
A=440, or A=445, or A=450?

Aren't the key issues that:

1) Concert pitch is established relative to some frequency standard.
2) Transposing instruments use notation relative to some other frequency
standard, such that a C in the transposing instrument notation is the same
frequency as the transposing instrument's note in concert pitch.

Thus, when a player playing a Bb clarinet plays what's notated in the Bb
clarinet part as a C, it sounds as a Bb in concert pitch.

It seems to me that all the rest of the information is more than is needed
for the LilyPond glossary; it's available in some other music dictionary.

Of course, I barely qualify as a musician, so don't feel any obligation to
follow my suggestions.

Carl