Re: Conversion of apostrophe in texi to PDF (was Re: Typos in LM)

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Conversion of apostrophe in texi to PDF (was Re: Typos in LM)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:04:47 -0500

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

It seems that texi2pdf replaces all single quotes by a smart right quote. Even if you use it inside @code{c'}, you'll not get a ' but a curved one :(

I don't see how this is true, though, because there are many examples of single quotes in the .pdf learning manual (for example) that are *not* smart quotes. Look at section 2.1.1 on page 11, for example, where c' e' g' e' appear with nice straight single quotes. How can one account for these straight quotes in the .pdf version if texi2pdf replaces *all* single quotes with smart quotes?

Jon

See also the texinfo manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Inserting-Quote-Characters

So, it's documented that also inside @code smart quotes are used...

My feeling, however, is that inside a @code or @verbatim environment, no smart quote replacements should be made by default. I suppose this is a general problem in texi2pdf, so you might be best off by sending this to the texinfo bug list: address@hidden

Cheers,
Reinhold

--
Jonathan Kulp