Re: misdetection of mftrace in 2.10.1

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: misdetection of mftrace in 2.10.1
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:36:54 +0100

Matthias Kilian <address@hidden> writes:

> Just beeing curious: did anyone ever think about using cmake?

I've been using CMake at work.  We have just switched to
using autotools (and a python script to generate .am files).

It has all the drawbacks of autotools, plus: not very portable, yet
another macro language, configure-time file globbing, broken
out-of-tree build, clumsy overriding of compiler, flags, etc (CC=,
CXX=), no standard targets (all, clean, install), built-in rules that
cannot be cancelled, no cross-build support, autodetection of
installed libraries by guessing and probing common locations (in /,
which makes cross compiling next to impossible), no make-time
overriding of variables/flags (make CFLAGS=.., make DESTDIR=..), full
expansion of all variables and targets in all expanded makefiles, one
make directory expands to 4 generated make files, ...

It is quite fast, (almost as fast as stepmake), though.

Jan.