Re: Example massacre

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Example massacre
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:24:15 -0500

>>>>> "Han-Wen" == Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:

    Han-Wen> Of course, if you know what you're looking for -like
    Han-Wen> Mats, I suppose- then the tips & tricks collection is an
    Han-Wen> easy document. However, I think we need to focus on
    Han-Wen> novice users which are not sure what they are looking for
    Han-Wen> exactly. Also, doesn't a broken up document (like the
    Han-Wen> manual) work better with Google searching?

Well, I find that even when I find something in the manual that sounds
like what I'm looking for, I still search the examples directory for a
place where that construct is actually used.

For instance, I'm sure that *why* you use \partial is explained quite
well in the manual, but in order to figure out *how* to use it, I
grepped input/test/*.ly for \partial.  Maybe the manual explanation of
\partial has improved since I did this, but I'm sure there are lots of
other constructs for which a real life example is still necessary for
lots of people.

I'm not arguing against improving the manual, just against thinking
that a good manual removes the need for good examples.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139