how to report bugs

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: how to report bugs
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:36:17 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> I have a general question how to report bugs.  Currently, I have time
> to update lilypond about twice a week, and if time permits, I run my
> personal collection of bugs with a new version to see whether things
> have improved.  Some of those bugs I consider severe, others are minor
> rants.
>
> Shall I repeat my bug reports again and again?  I think you soon will
> get crazy :-) On the other hand I would like to see various severe
> bugs fixed as soon as possible...

* It would be cool if you could reform the bugs in the shape of a
  regression test; you're almost there, except for the \header { texidoc
  =" "} part.

  In that case, I can stick the file into input/regression/ when it's
  working

* For things with many bugs, eg. the ottava bracket, I would prefer a
  complete description of how things should look, if possible with a
  scan from a printed edition.

  In general, I prefer to get bugs in topic-related batches: when
  there are too many bugs in one area, I tend to go for a big rewrite
  that fixes most or all outstanding problems. For small bugs, I
  usually do a stop-gap kludge.

* If it's not too much work, you could make a little webpage of all
  your bugs showing the .ly and the .png - that makes for easier browsing.

  (you could use lys-to-tely.py to convert a directory of .ly ->
  texinfo -> html)

* If you have a severe bug, please mark it so. My definition of severe
  might be different from yours.

> PS: I will be able to contribute fixes to lilypond soon (mainly on the
>     documentation side).  As usual, it's just a matter of available
>     spare time.

Good !

 :-)

(that smiley is a happy Han-Wen)