Re: your mail

From: Chris Jackson
Subject: Re: your mail
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:00:36 +0000

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:10:19AM -0600, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 December 1969 23:59, Chris Jackson wrote:
>
> > Bugreports / alternative ideas welcome.
>
> Why not have a complete change of behavior within \notes
> blocks, or within brackets nested within \notes blocks(?) so your .el can be
> of
> more use in the rest of the .ly file? Even an extra set of brackets would be a
> small price to pay to have things snap together pretty.
>
> \notes { stuff \clet \etc { e4 d8 }}

Do you mean that traditional indentation (in the style of programming
languages, with matching brackets) is only useful within the \score
block, and not within the \notes blocks from which it is built? like so:

\score{
  <
    \context blah <
        \multiply
        \nested

    \stuff

}

\stuff = \notes {
s o m e  <n o t e s>  w h i c h  d o n't
r e a l l y  [n e e d]  t o  b e
<i n d e n t e d>
}

I agree that \score blocks are commonly built up out of separate \notes
blocks, like a program function, whereas within the \notes blocks, this
type of multiple nesting is less common. I think it's prettiest to
indent \notes blocks at least once. But yes, there's probably no need
for multiple nesting, unless you do complicated things with polyphonic
voices.

I like the idea about aligning barchecks (although I tend to only have
one bar par line). This might help to make lilypond source look slightly
more like real music..

--
chris