Re: other users using stable release

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: other users using stable release
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 19:26:42 +0100

> I have done some promotion for LilyPond here at the uni - and now some
> other students have actually started using it :)
> Well, the problem is that they ofcourse use the stable release while I
> work with the development release - and this causes some feta-clashes.
> What can I do about this? When I was only usinbg lily my self the
> problem could be solved by deliting the wrong files - but this does not
> work when the wrong files belong to another user.
> Is it possible to tell (configure) lily/xdvi to use another dir for the
> feta-tfms?

There are two different aspects of the problem:
- Different users should find different source files for the
  fonts, i.e. different feta*.mf files. This is only a problem
  if you have added the Lilypond mf/ directory to the texmf tree
  as outlined in the FAQ. As long as they are found from the
  setting of $MFINPUTS, that's no problem.

- Generated font files should end up in different locations
  for the different users.

The second problem is easily solved by setting the environment
variable $VARTEXFONTS, which determines the directory below
which the generated font files are stored. The default setting
in teTeX is /var/tmp/texfonts/, which is on local disc and, thus,
solves the problem.
For the first one, I'm afraid you'd have to add a separate
texmf tree for the Lilypond additions corresponding to one
of the Lilypond versions. I should be able to guide you through
such a setup if necessary.

   /Mats