Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4418 in lilypond: Patch: add stencil-whiteout-

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4418 in lilypond: Patch: add stencil-whiteout-outline function
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 05:18:47 +0000

Comment #25 on issue 4418 by address@hidden: Patch: add stencil-whiteout-outline function

The default didn't really change. The patch uses a convert-ly rule to change existing \whiteout to \whiteout-box, specifically because I found so many uses of \whiteout\pad-around as in comment %19. The documentation uses \whiteout-box because of the convert-ly rule.

I would recommend \whiteout over \whiteout-box for most situations. The square whiteout quite generally causes artifacts worse than shown in comment #19. See, for example the workaround for issue 621 at
 https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=621#c11
There is a faint ghost of the barline; zoomed in below, we see that \whiteout-box artifact compared with the new \whiteout.

The ghost barline from \whiteout-box is a bit distracting when seen on the music stand. The jagged outline of \whiteout looks like the messy pattern of ink in the metal that was pushing up by the 'd' engraving die, and does not bother me at normal scale. It would only bother the lilypond engraver, and only if he chooses to zoom in quite far.

Attachments:
        4418.png  12.1 KB