Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4418 in lilypond: Patch: add stencil-whiteout-

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4418 in lilypond: Patch: add stencil-whiteout-outline function
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 11:58:59 +0000

Comment #19 on issue 4418 by address@hidden: Patch: add stencil-whiteout-outline function

Mail by Karol Majewski on lilypond-user:

Subject: What happened to whiteout?

For some reason this gives horrible output:

=========BEGIN============

\version "2.19.22"

one = {
  \clef treble \key c \major \time 2/4 \tempo "Andantino"
a'2 _\markup { \whiteout \pad-markup #0.5 { \dynamic p \italic "dolce" } } a'2
}

two = {
  \clef bass \key c \major \time 2/4
  c2 c2
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "one" \one
    \new Staff = "two" \two

}

Taking a look at the results makes me skeptical that we are doing people a favor by making the current implementation the default. Maybe we should reconsider. The staggered whiteout is pretty sure to _never_ lead to pleasing results for curved material like letters whenever there is significant overlap with solid objects. And when there isn't, it is not much of a difference to the box whiteout.

So at least until we have the engineering chops for a smooth outline (which will more likely than not require digging around in the C++ code to get a reasonable solution), it does not seem to make a lot of sense to offer this as the primary solution.

Attachments:
        1.png  14.1 KB
        2.png  25.0 KB