Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3159 in lilypond: Rewrite \transposition examp

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3159 in lilypond: Rewrite \transposition examples in notation manual
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:31:36 +0000

Comment #3 on issue 3159 by address@hidden: Rewrite \transposition examples in notation manual

Usually, it is a key change that prompts a player to change instruments, so the part gets the full key-change notation with a double bar and everything. (image, Beethoven Emperor Concerto, German spelling 'B' to indicate B-flat clarinet, key changes from concert B to concert E-flat)

When the player needs to change transposition, *not* at a key change in the music, there seems to be always something chromatic happening. The examples I found always avoid any indication of key change: no double bar, no irritating naturals, and no indication of the current key from the viewpoint of the new instrument! (image, Rachmaninoff Sym 2, also spelling in German, the movement is entirely in e minor, the oboe cues are concert e-f-cis) Mahler Symphony 7 does similar things to the first Clarinet.

Another example is Dvorak Sym 9, with horns and Clarinet that change transposition without a key-change. <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-10/msg00054.html>

I still suggest the example in just one concert key. We can avoid the irritating naturals with printKeyCancellation = ##f

Attachments:
        beeth.jpg  26.5 KB
        Rach.jpg  66.6 KB