Re: [Libunwind-devel] .so version bump .7 -> .8 [Re: libunwind 1.0.1]

From: Jan Kratochvil
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] .so version bump .7 -> .8 [Re: libunwind 1.0.1]
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:30:51 +0100

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:13:09 +0100, Arun Sharma wrote:
> #    4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the
> #       last update, increment current, and set revision to 0.
>
> Since we added new interfaces (eg: fast unwinding interface on x64), I
> incremented current.

You should follow all the steps in that list and that would IMO mean HEAD
should use SOVERSION=8:0:1 which will create:
        libunwind.so -> libunwind.so.7.1.0
        libunwind.so.7 -> libunwind.so.7.1.0
        libunwind.so.7.1.0
still having
        DT_SONAME       Library soname: [libunwind.so.7]

> Having said that I don't recall any obvious ABI breakages. It'd be
> interesting to know if setting up a symlink makes gdb happy.

This would make GDB happy and ldconfig/ld.so would still choose 7.1 even if
some 7.0 exists on the system (IMO improbable with packaging nowadays anyway).

If one runs program really using 7.1 interfaces with 7.0 libunwind.so then the
symbols will not be found and the program aborts on its call (due to the
default lazy resolution).  This is not perfect but this is IMO how libtool is
designed.  I can also add trying to dlopen libunwind.so.8 first into GDB as
the ABI compatibility issues are known if you want to keep .8 there.

Thanks,
Jan