libtool

Re: How to tell libtool to have/work with one of [.lo|.o] file ( if poss

From: Jeff Dubrule
Subject: Re: How to tell libtool to have/work with one of [.lo|.o] file ( if possible )
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:01:08 -0500

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 05:09:14PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is a design problem with libtool.  There should
> be libtool command-line switches to support this, but instead these
> options must be set when libtool is configured.  These options are set
> via an autoconf configure script.  If you are using an already
> installed libtool then you are out of luck.

I thought:
libtool --mode=compile -prefer-pic/-prefer-non-pic

would do the trick?

This'll at least work for the compile stage, does this get you into
trouble at the link stage?

At the very least, I think you can add -prefer-non-pic to your compile
flags, and -static to your link flags while developing, and only do
the static thing.

Hope this helps,
-jeff