Re: [libreplanet-discuss] freedom #0

From: Nicolás Reynolds
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] freedom #0
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 20:16:26 -0300

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> mtsio <mtsio@cryptolab.net> writes:
>
>> Can they really check for what purpose do you use them? I mean, do these
>> programs have anti-features that prevent you from using them for any
>> purpose?
>
> Yes, there are such anti-features, but that is irrelevant to the
> original question since most of the terms of a typical software license
> cannot be validated by software (whether free software or proprietary.)
> That doesn't make the terms any less real or binding.

freedom #0 grants technological neutrality.  you can either use free
software to guide a bomb, run google servers or build and run socially
useful stuff.  but software is built in an historic context and embeds
the politics of the people writing it: what kind of socially useful
stuff can something meant to run google servers or disintegrate people
build?

you can re-interpret software to make it run as you want, people can use
proprietary software to build socially useful stuff even if the license
prevents them from it, but it won't embed our politics and desires.

--
http://endefensadelsl.org