Re: [Libreboot] Blocking Intel ME ?

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Blocking Intel ME ?
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 14:30:26 +0200

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 13:15:04 +0100
Daniel Tarrero <address@hidden> wrote:

> that doesn't change the thing that, maybe loading a faulty firmware
> is a fast and dirty (ou yeah) way to disable iME ^^
>
> Anyways we need reliable methods to check it
With common sense, we might be able to produces some.
Assuming you cannot trust the hardware if the ME can run some code, not
giving the ME the ability to have a firmware could be a first start.

For instance if the firmware is only 0xffff or not there, how could the
ME load and run it?

This requires an external flasher.

Also, the BIOS/EFI/UEFI replacement is probably able to see some
changes in both cases, especially if the ME requires part of the RAM to
run, however how can you trust that if the ME is potentially running its
fimrware?

Denis.