Re: [Libreboot] Blocking Intel ME ?

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Blocking Intel ME ?
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 14:22:59 +0200

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 16:46:24 +0530
Jay Aurabind <address@hidden> wrote:

> I read that Intel ME will not load firmware unless its signed by Intel
> and that if signature verification fails, the ME core shuts down. In
> that case, why dont we just make a fake firmware and force it to load
> the fake one ? This way the ME core will remain shut down everytime it
> boots, isnt it ?
It's probably worth trying, however I suspect it will only work on some
old revisions of it.

The X201 laptop seem to freeze after 30min if you fill the ME
partition with 0xffffs. Maybe something could be attempted here.
Note that the ME is also involved in power management such as getting
the temperature. There was a patch related to that in coreboot.

However it might not be as easy as it seems.

Denis.