Re: [Libreboot] Re (2): Libreplanet keynote questions

From: IngeGNUe
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Re (2): Libreplanet keynote questions
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 00:59:55 -0400

On 03/17/16 15:03, address@hidden wrote:
> The following is meant to be positive rather than negative.
>
> From: Daniel Tarrero <address@hidden>
> From: Xavi Drudis Ferran <address@hidden>
> From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <address@hidden>
> Date: various
>
>> ... keynote of this year's Libreplanet.
>
>> ... what difference can make ...
>
>> ... most used setup (to my knowledge) to resist such attacks
>> consists in:
>> - An FSF certified computer with libreboot.
>> - GRUB in the BIOS flash, that can open encrypted rootfs.
>> - The full rootfs (including /boot) ...
>
>> ... uefi boot system comming, self signed boot roms ...
>
> I admire the vigour in developing Libreboot, GRUB, rootfs
> and etc.  Yet, in the long term, my confidence is really
> in the approach advocated by Niklaus Wirth and associates.
> For example much of the difficulty in auditing a Linux
> software results from the immense size of it.  I'm not
> convinced that more will really bring improvement.  What's
> needed is less software and more efficiency.
>
> Bear in mind that many wonderful gadgets were developed to
> improve steam locomotives.  A few remain in museums.  The
> rest are long gone to the steel furnace.
>
> Regards,             ... Peter E.

I'm afraid I don't know who Nikalaus Wirth is (and maybe he has a better
idea), but if we're thinking about improving security over the long-term
for activists, when taking into consideration the untrustworthiness of
ALL components, I think Rutkowska deserves a read. I'm not sure why I
don't hear about it more.
https://ingegnue.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/how-to-get-a-truly-secure-pc-really/