libffcall

Re: [Libffcall] repository moved from cvs to git

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [Libffcall] repository moved from cvs to git
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 23:33:53 +0100

>  > If you just want to compile for the current platform, take a tarball -
>  > for example the one here:
>  >   http://www.haible.de/bruno/gnu/libffcall-20170211.tar.gz
>
> But that's not very good for nightly checking for changes and rebuilding.

Indeed, for continuous integration checking you will need the 18 cross-
compilers. Build them once.

> Perhaps your view is that I should never check for updates?

I have no opinion about what you could/should do. All I can say is that
ffcall uses precompiled .s files, and since it's a best practice to
omit generated files from version control, you need the appropriate
tools to regenerate them.

>  > I thought people would read the comments at the top of
>  > cross-tools/cross-build.sh...
>
> ok, you might mention that in README-hacking.

OK, will do.

>   $ cross-tools/cross-build.sh cross
>   cross-tools/cross-build.sh: line 197: cross.in: No such file or directory

Ah, I meant you to do
    $ cd cross-tools
    $ ./cross-build.sh cross
But you're right: Shell scripts should work from wherever they are launched.

> In fact, it seems that README should tell you what you need
> (possibly where to look for more)

No, the README is for the users of a tarball. In GNU, the tarballs are still
the main distribution mechanism for source.

> I also tried autogen.sh again, ended with
>
>     make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'avcall-i386-macro.S', needed by
> 'avcall-i386-msvc.c'.  Stop.
>     make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/libffcall/avcall'
>     Makefile.maint:15: recipe for target 'all' failed
>     make: *** [all] Error 2

Hmm, indeed there are some circular dependencies between
  $ ./autogen.sh
and
  $ make -f Makefile.devel
Each of these needs the other one as prerequisite. I need to rethink this.

Bruno