Re: [Libcdio-devel] [RFC] New API iso9660_statv2_t as API/ABI compatible

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] [RFC] New API iso9660_statv2_t as API/ABI compatible way to read files >= 4 GiB
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 12:58:16 +0200

Hi,

Rocky Bernstein wrote:
> In my view, the person doing the work has priority over how it should be
> done, except when there are serious negative consequences.

The decisive point is the strategic decision about ABI stability.

It makes few sense to bring in my big statv2 if the ABI will not be
heavily defended in future.

The "pragmatic" alternative is much less prone to having new bugs
and it is very convenient for application programmers.
But it will break the ABI (and it has no branch yet).

So if you decide "ABI breaks when reasonably convenient", then let's
be pragmatic and wait for strange ISOs to cause loud error messages.

But if you decide "ABI shall not be broken any more", then ts-multiextent
is the branch to take.

> While I appreciate Pete's solution is in a sense complete,  Pete has also
> said that he doesn't have time to work further on it.
> Thomas has offered to improve it, and seems to be vested in it, so my take
> is that we go in that direction.

I am willing to make both ready for decision.
Not done yet.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas