Re: [Libcdio-devel] [RFC] New API iso9660_statv2_t as API/ABI compatible

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] [RFC] New API iso9660_statv2_t as API/ABI compatible way to read files >= 4 GiB
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 21:01:25 +0200

Hi,

Pete Batard wrote:
> Ah, now I'm starting to see what your actual plan is.

I consider a wide range of possibilities with my actual plan still being
the statv2 type.

But we have a range of opportunities depending on what we finally want:

* Old iso9660_stat_t with only additional member .total_size, refusing on
  multi-extent files with gaps. (I doubt we will find any such files in
  the wild.) No ISO_MAX_MULTIEXTENT.

* Old iso9660_stat_t with your extents arrays and visible small
  ISO_MAX_MULTIEXTENT, but erroring out only if ISO_MAX_MULTIEXTENT
  is exceed and also gaps are detected.
  If only one of these conditions is true, then it would continue to
  collect the info for the other access method.
  A new flag member would tell which method is valid. (Normally both.)

  Applications may then decide whether they become ready to use the one
  or the other, or both. Cheapest is to accept only gapless files and
  to refuse on others.

* New iso9660_statv2_t capable of very large extent lists. (I plan to
  implement array re-allocation in case of overrun. 10,000 extents shall
  be no problem.)
  Nevertheless a "gapless" flag will indicate to lazy application
  programmers that they did bet on the right horse.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas