Re: [Libcdio-devel] [RFC/PATCH] add multi extent ISO9660 file support to

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] [RFC/PATCH] add multi extent ISO9660 file support to libcdio
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 13:09:06 +0200

Hi,

Rocky Bernstein wrote:
> Now that the dust has settled, (and before too much more settles) Thomas'
> changes have now been merged into master.

My patches belong to another discussion thread:
  "[Libcdio-devel] RFC on two CD-TEXT patches by Serge Pouliquen"
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libcdio-devel/2018-05/msg00000.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libcdio-devel/2018-05/msg00006.html
  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53928

The commit
  "Merge branch 'cdtext-list-languages'"

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libcdio.git/commit/?id=16ff26506eedd748598f2beed4aa9825d04c1c9f
not only contains my changes about CDTEXT but also new files which were
not made by me (at least not this year):

  conf9AaqoM/subs.awk
  conf9AaqoM/subs1.awk
  config_extract.sh
  example/read-disc-struct.c
  example/read-disc-struct.sh
  test/copying.iso
  test/driver/abs_path.dSYM/Contents/Info.plist
  test/driver/abs_path.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/abs_path
  test/driver/gdb.core
  test/driver/mmc_read.core
  test/iso-info.core

> With the various API changes, expect a discussion on what the next version
> number will be, and how and the various library major/minior/version
> numbers.

In my own libraries the change would count as API and ABI compatible
with no special consequences for version numbers.

Old applications will continue to work as good or bad as they did before.
If such an application runs into the shortcommings of the deprecated
function cdtext_list_languages(), then the answer to a bug report will be:
Use cdtext_list_languages_v2() and cdtext_set_language_index()
instead of cdtext_list_languages() and cdtext_select_language().

cdtext_select_language() is not deprecated generally. But it assumes a
set of language blocks with all valid and unique language codes.
cdtext_set_language_index() does not depend on such a nice situation.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas